I wanted to introduce something slightly different into our weekly meals. So I thought I would give a meatless option a try. My focus when making this dish was to make sure that it was packed full of great tasting and familiar flavors. I can’t have my daughter’s detect anything out of the ordinary. Let’s dive in and see if I was successful or not.
(*This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you make a purchase using the links.)
16 oz.organic whole grain penne pasta
1 (32 oz.) organic marinara
1 organic zucchini ( roughly chopped)
1 C of organic kale (roughly chopped)
1/2 of medium organic white onion (roughly chopped)
1/2 C of organic tri-color peppers ( roughly chopped)
1/2 C organic mushrooms
1 1/2 C organic spinach
2 tbsp avocado oil ( or oil of choice)
In a small bowl combine the following organic herbs and spices.
1/2 tsp sea salt, black pepper and basil
1 tsp granulated garlic powder and onion powder
2 tsp of dried oregano
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a food processor add your spinach, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, peppers and kale. Pulse for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. To get an almost minced consistency. (We are aiming to get the mushrooms and veggies to a ground meat like consistency.)
- In a pan on medium heat add your oil and the veggie mixture. Sautee for 2-3 minutes. Next, add the seasoning stir to evenly coat the veggie.
- Add your sauce stir to evenly incorporate everything. Place a top on the pan and allow it to cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Once done it’s time to plate and enjoy!
My kids really enjoyed this recipe. They didn’t miss the meat and they didn’t detect that there were items in the sauce that they ordinarily don’t care to eat. So for me, that was a win!
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by, I greatly appreciate it
Until Next Time,