My daughter loves when I make these for her. Usually, I fry them…so my goal this time was to put a bit of a healthier spin on my old recipe. For the fried recipe click here.
Now, let’s dive into this new recipe and start baking.
1/4 cup warm water (about 100 F)
2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast (or 1 packet)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 Tbs sugar + 1/2 tsp
1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
5 Tbs Organic Vegetable Shortening
3/4 cup almond milk + 1 Tbs of white vinegar (mix together well)
1. Combine the yeast, warm water and the 1/2 tsp of sugar in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. ( It should look foamy.)
2. In a food processor or large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Cut your vegetable shortening into the flour mixture, until it resembles coarse sand.
3. Add the yeast, egg, vanilla and the Almond Milk mixture. Stir together to form a soft dough ball. Next on a floured surface knead your dough for about a minute.
4. Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place your dough ball in and let it rise for 45 minutes in a warm place.
5. Then, roll out dough into a large rectangle or square on a floured surface. Cut square into five long strips and then cut those strips into squares. Place squares on a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
6. Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake beignets for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Dust with powdered sugar and eat warm.
Enjoy & Until Next Time,
My family was in town for the weekend. My 5 year old niece has been obsessing over the Beignets because of the movie Princess and the Frog. So I decided to make some for her and the rest of the family. All I can say is……..DELICIOUS. What I loved the most is that everyone could add whatever toppings they wanted.
To make the Beignets follow the recipe below and get creative with the topping.
1 teaspoon dry active yeast
—3/4 cup very warm water
—1/3 cup sugar
—2 tablespoons butter
—1/2 teaspoon salt
—3 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for rolling
—1/2 cup milk
—1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
—oil for the bowl and frying the dough ( I used vegetable oil )
—powdered sugar for dusting
STEP BY STEP SUGARED BEIGNETS INSTRUCTIONS:
- In a bowl, gently mix the dry active yeast, warm water, and a spoonful of the sugar together. Let stand for 10 minutes while the yeast activates. If it doesn’t bloom and get foamy, toss it out and try this step again from the beginning.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and salt.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the yeast mixture and 2 cups flour. Then, start mixing with a dough hook or kneading by hand.
- Keep adding flour until the dough doesn’t stick to the side of the bowl and feels a little tacky. If using the dough hook, it should pull most of the dough away from the sides of the bowl. When you pull the dough off the hook, you may find that it is still too tacky, so feel free to add a bit more flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball-like mound and place it into a well-oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel, and let sit in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat a couple inches of vegetable oil to about 350 degrees.
- Once doubled in size, roll dough out to about 3/4 inch thick on a well-floured surface.
- Cut into squares of roughly 3×3 inches, and deep fry in the oil without overcrowding. The squares of dough should sizzle and immediately poof up into a golden beignet. Remove from oil, and drain on a paper towel. Transfer to a plate, and dust generously with powdered sugar.
Happy Cooking & Enjoy!!! 😀