Baking and cooking are extremely therapeutic for me. I feel totally relaxed and in my element. My creativity flows because there are just so many things you can make. So, today I present a recipe that I’ve been trying out and finally I’ve gotten it just right. My oldest is not a huge sweets lover but when it come to donuts……she’s a professional at recognizing a great donut! Since this recipe has her OFFICIAL STAMP of APPROVAL it’s time to share.
Now onto the recipe……..
(*This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you make a purchase using the links.)
For the Donut Dough:
3 3/4 C organic all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 C organic cane sugar
2 tsp active dried yeast
6 Tbsp organic vegetable shortening
1 C organic almond milk
1 C organic unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbsp organic vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
2 3/4 C organic powdered sugar (DIY recipe here)
1 Tbsp organic vanilla extract
10-12 Tbsp water ( add a few Tbsp at a time until you reach your desired consistency)
- In a large bowl add your flour, then add the yeast on one side of the bowl, then add the salt on the opposing side of the bowl from your yeast ( * I recently learned that placing your salt directly on top of the yeast, deactivates the yeast.) and now add the sugar on another side of the bowl. Now mix the flour and yeast side together, followed by the salt side, then the sugar side and finally, you can mix everything together until everything is evenly incorporated.
- In a large measuring cup that can hold 2 or more cups warm your almond milk and set aside. Next, melt your shortening. Pour your melted shortening in with your milk, followed by your applesauce and vanilla extract. Mix everything together until it is nice and smooth.
- Pour your milk mixture into flour mixture. Stir to combine ( you can do this by hand or with a hand mixer…..just don’t over mix.) Once your dough had formed cover it with plastic wrap and allow it to rise for 1-2 hours ( it should be doubled in size and have lots of bubbles and gluten strands.) * You can make this dough ahead of time it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Preheat your oven to 375, next line a baking sheet or 2 with parchment and fill a large oven safe pot half way with water.
- Turn your dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out about a 1/2″ thick. Using a shot glass or small circular object cut out your donut holes and place them on your baking tray.
- Place your pot on the bottom oven rack and your donut holes on the top rack and bake for 15 minutes. ( The pot of water will create a bit of a steaming effect to keep your donuts from drying out while baking.)
- Make your glaze while the donuts holes are baking. As soon as the donut holes are done dip them into the glaze and set on another tray to allow the glaze to set. Repeat until all donut holes are made.
Now it’s time for the most enjoyable part…..it’s time to enjoy your labor of love.
The donuts are the best fresh but just warm them up briefly to enjoy the next day!
This recipe yields 90 + donut holes.
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by, I greatly appreciate it.
Instagram // Pinterest // Twitter
Until Next Time,
21 thoughts on “No-Knead Baked Vegan Glazed Donut Holes”
Oh man, those look good! Baking is not therapeutic for me, but these look like they are doable.
Thank you! I totally understand it not being therapeutic. My good friend says doing dishes is therapeutic for her but for me that would be a No…lol. I hope you give them a try and enjoy them as much as we did! ☺
Ahhhhh as always- I’m endlessly impressed by your cooking AND sewing AND baking skills :)!
Thank you 😀
Sigghhhhh – if only….
*stares away dreamily*
Lol….you’re a trip!! 😁
Great donut recipe!
You definitely have my attention 🙂 I seem to be craving doughnuts lately, and have yet to fulfill the craving …Thank you for this 🙂 They really look absolutely divine 🙂
Thank you sooo much. Your kinds words are greatly appreciated. 😊
Looks delicious! :)~ I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Infinity Dreams Award. No pressure! More info here – https://paintboxmum.wordpress.com/2016/04/08/my-second-infinity-dreams-award/ 🙂
Thank you sooo much, that’s so kind of you!! 😊
It’s a pleasure 🙂 Your blog is gorgeous 🙂
Thank you, that means so much!! I adore yours as well. ☺
sewloveable This one will be released on Dec 24th – Sorry for the long wait but its my first opening for you
Pingback: No-Knead Baked Vegan Glazed Donut Holes | The Recipe Hunter
Post released and to be found at https://cookandenjoyrecipes.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/no-knead-baked-vegan-glazed-donut-holes/.
Thanks for approval and your participation.
Thank you!! 🙂