I honestly don’t know why I don’t make casserole’s more often…..it so convenient.
On the day, that I decided to make this dish I was recovering from an injury which you can read more about here. That meant that this dish had to meet my criteria…..I wanted something not too fussy to make. I had to have all the ingredients in the pantry and or refrigerator and it had to consist of things I knew my daughter’s already liked.
With my criteria met……..it was time to get cooking.
(*This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you make a purchase using the links.)
- 1 cup organic uncooked rice
- 1 cup organic corn
- 1 (15 oz.) container organic black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups organic salsa
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 1/2 cup diced organic yellow or white onion
- ½ salt (Pink Himalayan)
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp of dried basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or cheese of choice)
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In an 8″ x 8″ baking dish add the rice, black beans, corn, salsa, chicken broth, chili powder, and oregano. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half. Push the chicken pieces down into the rice salsa mixture of your baking dish. Try to push them down as far into the liquid as they will go. Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil. Bake for one hour. (*I cover mine with parchment and then place the foil on top. I also place this dish on a parchment-lined baking sheet to avoid any possible oven spills.)
- Take the casserole out of the oven, test the rice with a fork to make sure it is tender. If it is not, recover the dish, return it to the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes more. When the rice is tender, sprinkle the cheese over top and return the casserole to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Once cooled it’s time to enjoy!
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by, I greatly appreciate it.
Until Next Time,