I’ve been searching for the best and simplest biscuit recipe, one that wasn’t overly fattening. The problem was every recipe I found required a stick or 2 of butter. Which was just way too much for my liking.
So I decided to take a few ideas from some of the recipes I like and make it my own. I’ve tried countless different recipes. Kneading and without kneading. The recipes were pretty good but just not everything I needed them to be. Until “finally” I got it just right.
I let my little biscuit lover sample one. Then I hear the words that every mother longs to hear, especially when you have been working away in the kitchen for who knows how long…..Mom these are the best biscuits I’ve “EVER” eaten. The shock of those words nearly caused me to faint….lol. I quickly pull myself together because she wanted another. Next, she says you should definitely put this recipe on your blog.
So here it is………
2 C Organic Spelt or AP Flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan salt
1 1/4 C organic Milk ( dairy or non-dairy)
1 Tbsp organic vinegar (white or apple cider)
4 Tbsp butter (frozen cut into pea size pieces) + 1 tsp( room temp or straight from the refrigerator, you can also use vegan butter for this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 450°
- In a large bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar & salt mix to even combine.
- Next measure out the milk and add vinegar to your milk (this is a substitute for buttermilk). You can use buttermilk and no vinegar is needed.
- Add the 4 Tbsp of frozen pea size cut butter into the dry ingredients and stir to evenly distribute.
- Add the milk mixture and stir to bring everything together. Don’t over mix we don’t want a tough biscuit.
- In an 8-inch square pan spread the 1 tsp of butter around your pan.
- Now spread the mixture into your buttered 8″ baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Allow them to cool for a few minutes then cut and enjoy!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by, I greatly appreciate it!
Until Next Time,