Lately I have been on a mission…….to revamp things that my family and I love. The store bought versions have far to many additives. So I do the only logical thing……make my own. So now it’s time to share the recipe. This is a very simple recipe. The dough only has to rise once. My goal is homemade made easy. So let’s get started……………
4 Cups of Flour ( 2 Cups All Purpose & 2 Cups Whole Wheat) or 4 Cups of All Purpose
1 Cup of Original Unsweetened Almond Milk (warmed)
1 TBS Cane Sugar
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
3 Table Spoons of Organic Vegetable Shortening ( such as Spectrum brand which is non hydrogenated palm oil)
2 1/4 tsp of Yeast
2 TBS of Brown Sugar + 2 tsp
2 1/2 TBS of Cinnamon
1 TBS of All Purpose Flour
2 tsp of Vegetable Shortening
1/2 Cup of Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 TBS of Original Unsweetened Almond Milk
1. Add yeast and sugar to your warm milk and set aside.
2. In a food processor, bowl or stand mixer add, flour, salt and mix to incorporate
3. Next add eggs, vegetable shortening, milk mixture. Mix until if forms a ball of dough. Takes less than 5 minutes.
4. Remove the dough and knead 6 times on a lightly floured surface. Place in a large greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
5. Now prepare your filling in a small bowl stir sugar, cinnamon and flour well using a fork and get out and large pieces.
6. Once your dough has risen, grease a 9″ Circular Baking Pan set aside
7. Pre-Heat oven to 375°
8. Punch dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Roll out until it is 21 inches long by 16 inches wide. It should be 1/4″ thick.
9. Spread the 2 tsp of vegetable shortening onto the dough and sprinkle your filling on top.
10. From the long edge of dough roll carefully, making sure to not rip your dough.
11. Place dough seam side down. Cut into 1″ portions and place in your greased circular baking dish.
12. Bake for 20-25 minutes
13. Remove and let cool for about 5 minutes. While it cooling make your glaze/icing. Mix your powdered sugar and almond milk. Stir well to get out any lumps. Pour over your Cinnamon Roll.
14. Now it’s time for the best part……..to enjoy!!! Keep in an air tight container for freshness.
These are so great…….just the right amount of sweetness and and cinnamon. Perfect to enjoy anytime.
Until Next Time,