My daughter loves when I make these for her. Usually, I fry them…so my goal this time was to put a bit of a healthier spin on my old recipe. For the fried recipe click here.
Now, let’s dive into this new recipe and start baking.
1/4 cup warm water (about 100 F)
2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast (or 1 packet)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 Tbs sugar + 1/2 tsp
1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
5 Tbs Organic Vegetable Shortening
3/4 cup almond milk + 1 Tbs of white vinegar (mix together well)
1. Combine the yeast, warm water and the 1/2 tsp of sugar in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. ( It should look foamy.)
2. In a food processor or large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Cut your vegetable shortening into the flour mixture, until it resembles coarse sand.
3. Add the yeast, egg, vanilla and the Almond Milk mixture. Stir together to form a soft dough ball. Next on a floured surface knead your dough for about a minute.
4. Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place your dough ball in and let it rise for 45 minutes in a warm place.
5. Then, roll out dough into a large rectangle or square on a floured surface. Cut square into five long strips and then cut those strips into squares. Place squares on a parchment lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
6. Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake beignets for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Dust with powdered sugar and eat warm.
Enjoy & Until Next Time,
2 thoughts on “6 Simple Steps to Oven Baked Beignets”
YUM!!! And you cannot beat the oven baked! Much better than frying!!
Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised, that they turned out so well being baked instead of fried.