Macaroni & Cheese has been a favorite since I was a little girl. In my family mac & cheese never came from a box “EVER”. The women in my family have always been serious about their cooking. Whenever I went to visit my grandmother she always made me my favorite dish and boy oh boy…….she made the best. She made the best everything and always made everything from scratch. Now that I have share some good memories……..let’s make some HOMEMADE Macaroni & Cheese.
Making this in the crockpot was a first for me. Since it turned out great I had to share.
- 13.25 ounce medium whole grain shell macaroni
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup skim or plain almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 cup of Shredded Sharp and 1 cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese or cheese of choice
- 1/2 cup of cauliflower puree (optional-add’s extra fiber)
- Cook the macaroni following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water. Drain well.
- Generously oil the sides and bottom of your slow cooker (I use about 1 tablespoons of olive oil).
- Combine the macaroni with the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker and blend well. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 2½ to 3½ hours, stirring a few times.
- When the macaroni and cheese is done, feel free to spoon into a baking dish, top with a little more cheese, and put under the broiler for a minute or two for that “fresh from the oven” look and sprinkle paprika over the top to finish it off
I love taking a recipe and finding ways to make it healthier and not loose the delicious flavor.
Enjoy & Until Next Time,
2 thoughts on “Full Flavor Healthy CrockPot Macaroni & Cheese made with Whole Grain Pasta”
Oh my. Mac and cheese is flat out one of my favorite foods. I think I could eat it daily! Never made it in the crock pot though- this is a great idea!
Thank you. I know the feeling mac & cheese is my weakness. I loved making it in the crockpot because I could then just focus on the rest of dinner.